Benefits of membership
SAYTC markets Southern Africa as premier backpacking and youth tourism destination, both internationally and locally. SAYTC also markets members’ products to other members and at international travel expos.
International travel shows
SAYTC attends a few international trade shows a year. We are always looking for funding opportunities and have succeeded in getting major funding for our members in previous years. Obtaining funding is a continuous journey and we will always work through many different channels to secure future funding.
SAYTC has the busiest stand in the ICC hall during Indaba. SAYTC members can be sharing exhibitors on our stand where you can get direct business, referrals within the stand and doing business with other sharing exhibitors and SAYTC members.
SAYTC also hosts a very successful and popular party during Indaba at one of the backpacker establishments.
SAYTC regularly prints brochure maps that lists all members, their products or services and contact details. Brochure maps are distributed at:
- international trade shows and selected travel agencies abroad
- SAT in Australia
- DTI offices in Chicago, New York and Italy
- selected South African Tourism and South African Consulate offices abroad
- key tourist information centres and travel centres countrywide
- the establishments of all SAYTC members
Each year SAYTC also prints an A4 Show manual that highlights regions in SA, travel info and services in SA etc, catering to the international traveller. Members have the opportunity to advertise in this brochure that gets distributed at international shows, to give them exposure even if they are not attending the shows themselves.
Every SAYTC full member gets a listing on the SAYTC website – www.travelnownow.co.za. The listing has a direct link to the member’s own website. Current domains registered that direct to this website include:
The English language sector, EduSA, has a dedicated website at www.edusouthafrica.com.
- BnB offers SAYTC members 15% discount on insurance. BnB Sure specialises in guesthouse, backpacker and B&B insurance.
- SAYTC members get 15% discount off their WYSTC attendance.
SAYTC offers a powerful networking tool as it promotes and recommends SAYTC members amongst each other. Regional networking functions are held regularly and national functions are held annually. This networking strengthens your business and promotes regional cooperation.
As part of the Memorandum of Understanding between SAYTC and NAA-SA, full BSA members are entitled to receiving the following discounts and benefits:
- Special rate with ABSA Bank [3%] , Nedbank [2.5%] and FNB [3%] for credit card machines;
- Special Rate for credit and debit card transactions for Nedbank merchants at [2%];
- Special Rate for credit card transactions with American express [3%] for Nedbank merchants and [3,5%] for non Nedbank merchants;
- Special Rate for credit card transactions with Diners club [2.75%];
- Members get a 25% discount on TV licences;
- 15% discount on BnB Sure Insurance – [this is the preferred policy by NAA-SA and gives public liability insurance minimum 30 million rand];
- 20% discount at Earth Probiotic Recycling Solutions on Bokashi products that compost food waste using probiotic bacteria;
- Representation at tourism meetings where you are not represented.
- Access to our HR and Labour Law representation and advice at a reduced fee for your members.
- We will place a link on our national and regional websites to your SAYTC website and request a similar link on your website to us.
- Discount with Fit for Bed [20% beds and linen] and Cloud Nine [40% on beds].
- Discounted Ntshoms Hospitality consulting service fees [20%]
- Discount for establishment photography and branding solutions – Flash Photography and Graphic Design (20% on service fees.) This includes all stationary, letterheads, business cards, brochures, flyers etc… Additional discount is provided for print services as well
- Representation on CATHSSETA Hospitality Chamber, and access to training and skills development programmes;
- Loyalty points discount with Hirsch’s Homestores;
- Crimewatch notices and Alerts – these have saved members thousands of Rands as forewarned is forearmed!!
- NAA-SA branded establishment legal signage; limited liability, rights of admission, pool warnings etc…
- NAA-SA Guest Register and Guest Comments Books.
SAYTC is the united voice of the backpacking and adventure industry. It creates and maintains good relationships with other government, regional, national and international bodies in the tourism and travel industry. SAYTC represents you on the:
- Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA)
- Fair Trade and Tourism (FTTSA)
- STAY WYSE
- South African Tourism website
- The Federated Hospitality Association of SA (FEDHASA)
- WYSE Travel Confederation who represents the international youth market at the UN World Tourism Organisation
- WYSE Work Abroad
Information and statistics
As a SAYTC member, you will receive:
- a newsletter providing interesting info and keeping you up to date with SAYTC and general travel industry news
- your regional reports and other regional, show and conference reports
- access to the latest industry research and statistics
- crime watch notices: SAYTC assists in the protection of members and guests by reporting and circulating incidents of theft, bilking and missing persons
A criteria for Full Membership for accommodation establishments is accreditation with any of the following organisations: the AA, SATSA, TKZN (Tourism KwaZulu-Natal), TGCSA (Tourism Grading Council), Fair Trade Tourism OR ECPTA ( Eastern Cape Parks and Tourism Association).
A criteria for membership for tour and transport operators is the provision of the following documents: operating license, public liability insurance and passenger liability insurance.
- Full Members receive all mails on runners, meetings, newsletters etc.
- Full Members may attend meetings and networking
- Comprehensive listing on website
- Brochures and advertising benefits
- Use of SAYTC
- Voting rights
Targeted at smaller members who can’t pay full fees or get accredited as the want to stay small, eg. a two-room backpackers on the Wild Coast.
- Pay 50% of lowest membership tier.
- Associate Members receive all mails on runners, meetings, newsletters etc.
- Associate Members may attend meetings and networking
- Separate listing on website under different category with a clear message stating that SAYTC cannot guarantee the standard or quality of the establishment.
- Cannot use SATYC logo on marketing collateral, no funding, no advertising benefits, no voting, no banner ads, etc
- Targeted at small backpackers/ start-up backpackers that want to get a feel for the industry and the organization.
- BSA members can mentor them and help them to grow and become full time members
- Available for new members only – for the maximum of one year.
- Incubator Members receive all mails on runners, meetings, newsletters etc.
- Incubator Members may attend meetings and networking
Membership rates for 2017
Pro rata rates will apply. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Accommodation establishments: (to qualify you have to be graded with an accreditation body that SAYTC recognizes)
- Full Members, lowest tier: 30 beds or less – R2470 excl. VAT
- Full Members, middle tier: 31 to 60 – R3760 excl. VAT
- Full Members, highest tier: 61 above – R4945 excl. VAT
- Associate Members: 50% of lowest membership tier – R1235 excl. VAT
- Incubator Members: R580 excl. VAT
- Full Members: R4945 excl. VAT
- Associate Members: R3670 excl. VAT
- Incubator Members: R2470 excl. VAT
Wheels/adventure operators: (pax a year)
- Lowest: Under 100 pax – R2470 excl. VAT
- Middle: 101 – 500 pax – R3760 excl. VAT
- Highest: 501 above – R4945 excl. VAT
Volunteer operators and intern placements
- Lowest: Below 50 a year – R2330 excl. VAT
- Middle: 51 to 120 – R3760 excl. VAT
- Highest: 121 above – R4945 excl. VAT
- Lowest: Below 1 mil turnover – R2330 excl. VAT
- Middle: 1mil to 2 mil turn over – R3760 excl. VAT
- Highest: + 2 mil turn over – R4945 excl. VAT
- 1st business registered must be the biggest business and R900 for every business thereafter
- R900 excl. VAT